Skip to content
Tips for Using a Credit Card Safely
- Never lend your card to anyone.
- Never sign a blank charge slip. Draw lines through blank spaces on charge slips above the total so no one can change the amount.
- Never put your account number on the outside of an envelope or a postcard.
- Always be cautious about disclosing your account number on the telephone or online unless you know the person you’re dealing with represents a reputable company.
- When you go out, carry only the cards you expect to use that day. If your wallet or purse is lost or stolen, it minimizes your loss and the resulting headache.
- Keep your receipts so you can reconcile the charges on your bill.
- Keep a record – in a safe place separate from your cards – of your account numbers, expiration dates, and phone numbers of each issuer to report a loss quickly.