Welcome, visitor! [ Login

Post an Ad

Credit Problems FAQ

Debt-Credit Consolidation March 13, 2024

Trying to balance credit problems?  Here  are some answers to your problems.

Who do I contact regarding maximum rates and delinquency charges?

The Department of Financial Institutions. They enforce the Indiana Uniform Consumer Credit Code which regulates maximum rates for interest, delinquency and deferral charges; allowable additional charges; credit insurance; and debtor’s remedies of Indiana credit. The Code regulates credit sellers and licensed lenders.


Who regulates required disclosures?

The Federal Trade Commission regulates the Truth in Lending Act. This act gives you the right to be given details, before you sign a contract or loan agreement, on exactly how much the credit is going to cost, what the payments will be, and when they are due.


How do I resolve billing errors?

The Fair Credit Billing Act establishes procedures for resolving billing errors on your credit card. See our brochure on Fair Credit Billing.


What do I do if a creditor is harassing me?

There are no state or federal statutes governing the collection practices of a creditor. You may wish to report a collector’s activities to a supervisor. Many creditors do not know how abusive some collectors can be.


What do I do if a collection agency is harassing me?

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits debt collectors from using unfair or deceptive practices to collect overdue bills that your creditor has forwarded for collection. The act only pertains to third party debt collectors, not to the creditor. See brochure on Debt Collection.


What obligations do I have as a cosigner?

The Federal Credit Practices Rule requires creditors to advise consumers who cosign obligations about their potential liability if the other person fails to pay; prohibits creditors from using certain contract provisions that may be unfair to consumers; and prohibits the pyramiding of late charges. See our brochure on Co-Signing a Loan.


What do I do if there is an error on my credit report?

The Fair Credit Reporting Act gives consumers the right to know what specific information credit bureaus provide to potential creditors, employers, renters, and insurers. If credit is denied on the basis of information in a credit report, the applicant has to be told the name, address, and telephone number of the credit bureau providing the information; the consumer can then request a free copy of the credit report. See our brochure on How to Dispute Credit Report Errors.


Where do I turn if I believe I have been discriminated against on a home loan?

The Fair Housing Act makes it illegal for any lender to discriminate in housing-related lending because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, handicap, or family status. These protections apply to the applicant, anyone associated with the applicant, and anyone who might occupy the home.


What are my rights if I was denied credit because of my age?

The Equal Credit Opportunity Act applies to all types of lending and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, age, or receipt of public assistance. See our brochure on Equal Credit Opportunity.


Can I cancel a credit transaction?

Unless your credit transaction is a refinance or a second mortgage on your dwelling,  in relation to a sale made in your home, or a health spa contract, there are no periods that the credit transactions can be cancelled. The contract is binding once it has been signed in all but the above instances. In those instances, you have three business days to rescind the credit transaction.


What should I do if I can’t make a payment?

You should let your creditor know immediately if some unexpected problem arises that makes you think you might be late with a payment. Most creditors will try to work something out if you have a good reason. If you miss a payment, the creditor may repossess any property that secures the transaction or begin fore-closure if the loan is secured by an interest in land. Remember you do not own a secured item until the last payment is made.


How do I know if I’m in financial trouble?

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you should act.


u Do you routinely spend more than you earn?

u Are you making day-to-day purchases on credit?

u        Are you able to only make minimum payments on your monthly credit card debts?


u        If you lost your job, would you have difficulty paying next month’s bills?

What can I do!

Contact your creditors. Let them know you are having difficulty making your payments. Try to work out an acceptable payment schedule.


Budget your expenses. Create a spending plan that allows you to reduce your debts.


Try to reduce your expenses. Cut out any unnecessary spending. Above all, stop incurring new debt!


Personal Bankruptcy , a decision to file for bankruptcy is a serious step; a last resort to deal with financial problems.

No Tags

1189 total views, 2 today



    by on June 6, 2024 - 0 Comments

    WHAT TYPE OF DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ARE PROHIBITED?   Harassment Debt collectors may not harass, oppress, or abuse any person.  They may not:   *  use threats of violence or harm to the person, his/her property, or reputation;   * publish a list of consumers who refuse to pay their debts (except to  a credit […]


    by on June 2, 2024 - 0 Comments

    FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT   The federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), protects consumers from abusive or harassing, false or misleading, and/or unfair practices of third party debt collectors or attorneys attempting to collect debts incurred for personal, family, or household purposes. Business or agricultural debts are not covered by the […]

  • Debt Collectors -Recovery Services - FL & AL

    by on June 26, 2024 - 0 Comments

    Entity Address Telephone CenterOne Debt Management Services LLC 6150 Omni Park Drive, Mobile, AL, 36609 (251) 639-7500 Medical Data Systems, Inc.  Medical Revenue Service 645 Walnut Street, Suite 5, Gadsden, AL, 35901 (256) 546-7099 Firstsource Financial Solutions, LLC 7715 NW 48th Street, Miami, FL, 33166 (305) 513-5500 Bayview Loan Servicing, LLC 4425 Ponce De Leon […]

  • Personal Financial Management Course (Debtor Education) Providers :Alabama Southern

    by on July 2, 2024 - 0 Comments

    List of  Personal Financial Management Course (Debtor Education) Providers #02 Certificate Class 713 Preston Place Grapevine, Texas 76051 Toll Free:  (888) 533-3423 Phone:     (817) 533-3423 Fax:          (817) 533-3423 Web: www.jjandpartners.com Allen Credit and Debt Counseling Agency 195 Brook Street E Wessington, SD 57381 Toll free:   (888) 415-8173 Phone:     (605) 458-2500 Fax:         (605) 458-2506 Web: www.acdcas.com Alliance Credit Counseling, Inc. […]

  • Debt Collectors -Recovery Services

    by on June 13, 2024 - 0 Comments

    Entity Address Telephone A.C.B. American, Inc. 4351 Winston Avenue, Covington, KY, 41015 (859) 261-8745 Advanced Collection Services LTD Mastercheck 55 Whiting Street 2A, Plainville, CT, 06062 860-793-2255 Advanced Collection Services LTD Mastercheck 55 Whiting Street 2A, Plainville, CT, 06062 860-793-2255 Affiliated Group, Inc., The  Affiliated Credit Services 3055 41st Street NW, Suite 100, Rochester, MN, […]